Afternoon slumps are very real, and can put a real damper on your productivity in the latter half of your day. There are many possible causes of this slump from dehydration to carb overload, but whatever the reason may be, we have compiled this list of the best ways to perk up and finish out your afternoon strong!
- Get Up and Move: Nothing is worse than the feeling of being trapped at your desk all day. Break up your day by taking short walks/stretch breaks every hour or so. Not only will this get you away from your desk, but it will also help keep you energized all day long.
- Chew Gum: This strange and simple trick has been proven effective in scientific studies. Chewing gum helps you to focus and helps to keep you more awake and alert throughout the day.
- Peppermint Oil: Similarly, rubbing peppermint oil on your palms or neck can give you a boost of afternoon energy. Peppermint has also been known to have mood-elevating and stress-relieving properties, making it a perfect way to keep you on task throughout the day.
- Take a Coffee Break: Give yourself a little caffeine boost after lunch time! Not only will this get you away from your desk for a few minutes, but it will also perk you up for the rest of the day. A Bizzy Coffee Double Shot is a perfect way to get your caffeine boost and keep your energy up all day long!
- Rosemary: Keeping a rosemary plant at your desk can have an enormous benefit on your daily energy. The scent of rosemary can improve both focus and memory, making it a must for beating your afternoon slump. As an added bonus, it tastes great and can help add a little zest to your lunch!
- Stay Hydrated: Weariness/fatigue is a common symptom of dehydration, but it can easily be bested by increasing your water intake. Most people recommend about drinking 8 glasses of water per day, or more specifically, 15.5 cups daily for men and 11.5 cups for women.
- Get More Sleep: Saving the most obvious for last, getting more sleep every night is one of the best ways to kick that afternoon slump. Experts recommend about 7-9 hours of uninterrupted sleep every night in order to ensure maximum benefits for the next day. So cut out a few episodes of your nightly Netflix routine and start catching a few extra winks!
- “11 Amazing Benefits of Rosemary Oil.” Organic Facts, 16 Jan. 2018.
- Hodoba, D. “Chewing Can Relieve Sleepiness in a Night of Sleep Deprivation.” Sleep Research Online : SRO., U.S. National Library of Medicine.
- “How Much Sleep Do We Really Need.” Sleep Foundation.
- “Reasons for the Afternoon Slump.” Sleep.org.
- “Water: How Much Should You Drink Every Day?” Mayo Clinic, Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research, 6 Sept. 2017.
- Wolf, Maura. “What Are the Benefits of Peppermint Candy.” Livestrong.com, Leaf Group, 3 Oct. 2017.