(Video by Bryce Prestwich)
There is an old additive that says everyone needs a hobby, and in many ways this is true! Hobbies can relieve stress, pass time, and keep your mind and body healthy. They can also be crazy, out there, amazing ways to have fun, so we have compiled ten of the most incredible hobbies for you to try in 2018.
- Drone Racing - We’ve all seen hobby drones flying around at parks, on city streets, and even through fireworks! But now there are actual leagues for racing drones and it’s just as awesome and crazy as it sounds. With countless models, fast paced action, and leagues all across the country, it’s easy to see why this hobby is flying high!
- Wingsuit flying - It’s a bird! It’s a plane! No, it’s a wingsuit flyer! Wingsuit flying is an extreme variation of skydiving in which the diver glides through the air with the use of a personal winged suit before landing with the help of a parachute. This type of skydiving can be done from airplanes, or even just off of high cliffs, and makes for one awesome airborne experience. So if you’ve ever wanted to get a bird’s eye perspective on your world, wingsuit flying may be the hobby for you.
- Learn to Cook – Cooking is something everyone has to do once and awhile, so why not impress people and get good at it? Many a seasoned chef will tell you that cooking well is no more difficult than following directions well, so why not try and up your food game? There are countless easy recipe cookbooks out there to help you get started, and a wealth of tips, tutorials and tricks on the internet just waiting for you to investigate. You’ve got to eat, so you may as well get good at what comes first!
- Yoga – Practicing yoga is a hobby that is good for the mind, body and spirit. Whether you are taking classes at a local community center or studio, or simply trying an online tutorial, this is a low-cost hobby that is sure to improve both your physical and mental health.
(Picture by @freebornclimbing)
- Cliff Camping - Could you imagine camping off the side of this cliff? Take your camping experience to new heights while you and your friends hang over a mountainside on one of these increasingly popular excursions. With cliff camping venues popping up across the United States, there’s never been a better time to break into this breathtaking new hobby.
- Zorbing - Here’s one you’ve probably never heard of, or at least, never knew the name of. Zorbing is the outrageous sport of rolling around in a giant plastic ball. This can be done down hills, on level ground, and even on water! However your zorb, you’re sure to get a kick out of this crazy new activity.
- Geocaching - Geocaching is like a massive, grown-up treasure hunt. The activity involves using a GPS to locate hidden “caches” scattered across the world. When a cache is discovered, the finder signs the log book inside, and sometimes even finds knick knacks to take as a prize. The advent of smartphones has made geocaching more popular and easier than ever! So start exploring today and find the hidden treasures near you!
- Home-Brewing - Craft beer is one of the biggest new trends of the last few years, so why not create your own brews? Home-brewing can be done with simple kits, big equipment, or even in group classes, and offers something for every beer-lover. Try it out and start perfecting your own unique brew!
- Knitting - Knitting can be an extremely relaxing and rewarding hobby, and at the end, you have actual, wearable gifts for yourself, family and friends. Supplies, tutorials and patterns are abundant, so all you have to do is pick where you’d like to begin and go from there!
- Rock Climbing - Whether you’re climbing indoors or outdoors, rock climbing is a great way to shake up your routine and to stay in shape. Indoor gyms make for great places to practice and build muscle, while outdoor climbing excursions can bring you closer to nature and to explore new areas. With dozens of variations on the sport such as bouldering and crack climbs, climbing is a great work out hobby that can offer something for everyone.